My rating: 4 of 5 stars
Avg rating: 4.08
Genre: Classic, Fiction, Romance
Goodreads Summary:
Orphaned into the household of her Aunt Reed at Gateshead, subject to the cruel regime at Lowood charity school, Jane Eyre nonetheless emerges unbroken in spirit and integrity. She takes up the post of governess at Thornfield, falls in love with Mr. Rochester, and discovers the impediment to their lawful marriage in a story that transcends melodrama to portray a woman's passionate search for a wider and richer life than Victorian society traditionally allowed.
With a heroine full of yearning, the dangerous secrets she encounters, and the choices she finally makes, Charlotte Bronte's innovative and enduring romantic novel continues to engage and provoke readers.
My Actual Rating: 3.8
Finally, finally, finally I have finished this book! It felt like it took me ages.
This was probably my favorite classic.. I was actually able to follow along and understand what was happening for about 90% of the time. At first the perspective was hard to follow but I got the hang of it and began to enjoy it. The beginning was my favorite, when Jane was a child and treated poorly and shipped away to the orphan school. The romance was right up my ally in the sense that it was forbidden for quite sometime even though everyone knew it was building when it shouldn't have been. Finally, FINALLY when Mr. Rodchester and Miss Eyre admitted their feelings for each other is was almost too late. There were so many other people's emotions tied up in limbo. Then when Miss Eyre decided to leave and go on that poorly planned journey and almost die, I almost died right along with her. For one I was bored out of my mind and for two it was so clear that she did not belong with that other guy (can't even remember his name because he was so irrelevant.) I felt like it was major space filler and made the book unnecessarily long and drawn out.
The reunion was not all I wished it was but I was happy with the outcome. I'm glad to have read this classic tale and put it behind me.
View all my reviews
Alternative Covers:




No comments:
Post a Comment