My rating: 4 of 5 stars
Avg rating: 3.94
Genre: Fantasy, Historical Fiction, Young Adult
Goodreads Summary:
Why be the sheep, when you can be the wolf?
Seventeen-year-old Ismae escapes from the brutality of an arranged marriage into the sanctuary of the convent of St. Mortain, where the sisters still serve the gods of old. Here she learns that the god of Death Himself has blessed her with dangerous gifts—and a violent destiny. If she chooses to stay at the convent, she will be trained as an assassin and serve as a handmaiden to Death. To claim her new life, she must destroy the lives of others.
Ismae’s most important assignment takes her straight into the high court of Brittany—where she finds herself woefully under prepared—not only for the deadly games of intrigue and treason, but for the impossible choices she must make. For how can she deliver Death’s vengeance upon a target who, against her will, has stolen her heart?
My Actual Rating: 4.8
"Perhaps that is because you mistake death for justice, and they are not the same thing at all."
This book was really good! It's sat on my TBR shelf forever and I wish I had read it sooner. It slightly reminded me of The Throne of Glass series and Ismae kind of resembles Celaena Sardotian (except not as cool).
The world building was very creative and had clever ties to real world history.. I found it all quite interesting and the whole serving of Saint Mortain aka the god of death was a great touch. I'm interested to know if Ismae will continue to serve Saint Mortain even if she leaves the convent.
I did find the pace to be a bit slow and there is a whole bunch of politics which bored me for a little while there but the way it builds and comes together was magnificent. The character development was impressive and believable and everything happened at just the right pace. There were times when I couldn't care less about the "drama" going on in the royal kingdom and only cared about the budding relationship between Ismae & Duval, but nonetheless things started to get more exciting near the end and I couldn't put it down.
I will definitely be reading on in the series as I hear the second book is even better than the first!
View all my reviews
Alternative Covers:




No comments:
Post a Comment