Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Book Review: Dark Places by Gillian Flynn

Dark PlacesDark Places by Gillian Flynn
My rating: 4 of 5 stars
Avg rating: 3.90

Goodreads Summary:
Libby Day was just seven years old when her evidence put her fifteen-year-old brother behind bars.

Since then, she has been drifting. But when she is contacted by a group who are convinced of Ben's innocence, Libby starts to ask questions she never dared to before. Was the voice she heard her borther's? Ben was a misfit in their small town, but was he capable of murder? Are there secrets to uncover at the family farm or is Libby deluding herself because she wants her brother back?

She begins to realise that everyone in her family had something to hide that day... especially Ben. Now, twenty-four years later, the truth is going to be even harder to find.

     Who did massacre the Day family? 



My Rating: 4.0


Another Gillian Flynn novel that makes you question everything you think you know about people and life. This book was dark and twisted with an ending I didn't expect.

Libby, the main character, annoyed me at first. She had this air of entitlement surrounding her because she was a victim in a terrible, horrible crime that happened over 25 years ago. I guess she was used to the money coming in from charities and book sales surrounding the death of her family. She even went as far as getting jealous of another girl who was in a more recent tragedy and was not receiving all the attention from it. It was just weird for her to act like that. She seemed like she had pushed the whole ordeal out of her head yet she still hoped for other peoples sympathy.

Anyways, I loved how this story was told from all different perspectives. It was like a puzzle coming together slowly through glimpses of the past and present. 

***SPOILER***

I knew from the get go that Ben wasn't guilty. I thought maybe Libby had more to do with it then she remembered but that wasn't the case. Turns out Ben was pretty messed up in the head and even worse hanging with the ALL wrong crowd at such a young age. I wasn't totally shocked that Patty Day had ordered the hit on herself, she didn't seem like she could handle all the drama that was becoming her life. I also wasn't surprised that Diondra was involved. 

All in all I think it ended well and I was definitely on the edge of my seat while Libby worked her way through this crime with the people she met in the underground crime solving group. There was no romance aspect to this book and usually I'd miss that but I didn't think it was necessary here.

View all my reviews


Alternative Covers:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...