Gone by Michael GrantMy rating: 3 of 5 stars
Avg rating: 3.86
Goodreads Summary:
The first in New York Times bestselling author Michael Grant's breathtaking dystopian, sci-fi saga, Gone is a page-turning thriller that invokes the classic The Lord of the Flies along with the horror of Stephen King.
In the blink of an eye, everyone disappears. Gone. Except for the young.
There are teens, but not one single adult. Just as suddenly, there are no phones, no internet, no television. No way to get help. And no way to figure out what's happened.
Hunger threatens. Bullies rule. A sinister creature lurks. Animals are mutating. And the teens themselves are changing, developing new talents—unimaginable, dangerous, deadly powers—that grow stronger by the day. It's a terrifying new world. Sides are being chosen, a fight is shaping up. Townies against rich kids. Bullies against the weak. Powerful against powerless. And time is running out: On your birthday, you disappear just like everyone else...
Michael Grant's Gone as been praised for its compelling storytelling, multidimensional characters, and multiple points of view.
Supports the Common Core State Standards
Actual Rating: 3.2
I had high hopes for this book.. It started out good, really pulled me in. Then it slowed down a lot.. Spent a lot of time going into detail on unnecessary items, in my opinion.
There's something weird about the writing style that I can't quite put my finger on. I like how the author switches story perspectives multiple times in each chapter. And I liked how it counts down the hours until the "poof" and then the book ends..
To be honest I didn't end this book dying to read book two so that's a definite downfall. In a series of 3 (or is it 4?) books, I think there has to be a lot of unanswered questions to ensure the desire to read on and figure out the answer to these questions. But in this book, a lot of the questions are answered in the last chapter and then it's like "ughhh do I really want to read a new one with all these 14 year-olds and under kids as characters?"
So anyways... I doubt I'll continue on with this series, but the book is still worthy of 3 stars.
View all my reviews
Alternative Covers:



No comments:
Post a Comment