Crank by Ellen HopkinsMy rating: 5 of 5 stars
Avg rating: 4.15
Goodreads Summary:
In Crank, Ellen Hopkins chronicles the turbulent and often disturbing relationship between Kristina, a character based on her own daughter, and the "monster," the highly addictive drug crystal meth, or "crank." Kristina is introduced to the drug while visiting her largely absent and ne'er-do-well father. While under the influence of the monster, Kristina discovers her sexy alter-ego, Bree: "there is no perfect daughter, / no gifted high school junior, / no Kristina Georgia Snow. / There is only Bree." Bree will do all the things good girl Kristina won't, including attracting the attention of dangerous boys who can provide her with a steady flow of crank.
Actual Rating: 5.0
Such an eye opener! Life changing..
I grew up completely sheltered to the life style that evolves around drugs and drug addicts. My eyes were recently opened when two of my best friends slowly became strangers. I watched them turn from people I spent every waking moment with to people I didn't even WANT to know any more. I removed myself from their lives in fear of falling into the same trap they had. I knew I had too much to lose.
I resented them. I was hurt, broken, in need of a friend and they were too busy getting high, staying up for days, coloring nonsense pictures and having sex with random guys twice their age. But as the years past (2 years now) I began to open my eyes to the disease that is addiction. This book helped tons in that sense. Made me understand, a little. Made me think to myself "Oh.... It all makes sense."
At first I was a little weary of the writing style. Didn't understand why it was written the way it was.. lyrically, poetically, all over the page... But by the end of the book I was obsessed. So beautiful, so well written. So few words but such big meanings. I felt every wave of emotion while reading this book. I learned so much about so many different things. I'm thankful for the author for putting it all down on paper.
I will definitely be reading the next one.. And possibly other books about addiction. It helps me understand, helps me cope, helps soften my heart to those who have hurt me. Because I know it's not their intention... It's simply a result of the monster.
View all my reviews
Alternative Covers:



No comments:
Post a Comment