Sunday, September 27, 2015

The In Vitro Journey - Cycle #2 - All Done with Drugs!

Hallelujah!
Today is my first shot free day and boy am I happy.

Who knew this process would include SO. MANY. NEEDLES. 9 days of nightly shots, sometimes 3 or 4 different pokes. Not only have I completely filled up two sharps containers, I'm also covered in bruises from all the blood draws. Every monitoring appointment means getting probed with that thing up there ^^^ and drawing a vial of blood to test my estrogen levels. It's not THAT bad but after 5 appointments in 10 days we are both pretty over it.

Another tough part of this whole process is the Birth Control. My body does NOT like that pill. So many side effects that pop up as soon as I start taking it; Teenage like acne, emotional mess, hungry all the time... I was so happy to take this last pill! 

Round 2 of hormone injections brought on a whole new set of side effects. I kind of thought I was a pro at this and knew what to expect but boy was I wrong. Our Reproductive Expert (RE) increased our doses in hopes of getting more mature eggs. I've experienced pain in weird places like the backs of my knees and upper arms. The first few days I had terrible headaches all day and night. Oh, and the night sweats!! When I was able to fall asleep I would wake up soaking wet.. It was not enjoyable.

Our RE appointments have been fairly normal. My estrogen is too high again and we will be doing a freeze all which was to be expected with the higher doses. The doctors have been happy with the results and my follicles are growing just as they should, so they say. Now, I'm a numbers person. I like to actually see the numbers all laid out and compared to something. I went ahead and made a chart so I can see how my follicle number and size compare to last time.
Now I don't know about you but my numbers don't look better than last time to me. It actually looks like I have less follicles and smaller sizes. Regardless, the RE says everything looks good. I guess the ultrasounds aren't 100% accurate because sometimes the doctor can't see all the follicles. It is assumed that every follicle over 14mm will contain a mature egg.

David administered my "Trigger Shot" last night at 10:30pm. This is the shot given 36 hours before Egg Retrieval which prepares the eggs to be released from the follicles. Our egg retrieval surgery is scheduled for Monday  morning.

Last night has been the worst night for this round. I am finally feeling that ovary growth and it's like a puffer fish is swimming around in my belly. I got a random burst of energy and decided to sweep and swiffer the floors. I regretted that almost immediately. I was up all night crying in pain and this morning hasn't been much better. I'm trying to stay as stationary as possible but when I do have to walk around I'm doing so hunched over and very slowly. 

David has been treating me like a fragile baby doll and I can't say I hate it. He makes me ride in the back seat of his car so he can load and unload his chair himself. He also went into the office for me to catch up on my work and is now headed out to Target to get me some much needed items. I had a laundry list of things I wanted to do before egg retrieval but there is no way I can leave the house today.

So.. football and relaxing all day is in the agenda. Excited, nervous and anxious about tomorrow retrieval. Thanks so much for reading and keeping up with this crazy whirlwind of a journey.. I'll let you all know how it goes tomorrow. XoXo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...