My rating: 5 of 5 stars
Avg rating: 3.94
Genre: Young Adult, Contemporary, Fiction
Goodreads Summary:
It happened like this. I was stolen from an airport. Taken from everything I knew, everything I was used to. Taken to sand and heat, dirt and danger. And he expected me to love him.
This is my story.
A letter from nowhere.
Sixteen year old Gemma is kidnapped from Bangkok airport and taken to the Australian Outback. This wild and desolate landscape becomes almost a character in the book, so vividly is it described. Ty, her captor, is no stereotype. He is young, fit and completely gorgeous. This new life in the wilderness has been years in the planning. He loves only her, wants only her. Under the hot glare of the Australian sun, cut off from the world outside, can the force of his love make Gemma love him back?
The story takes the form of a letter, written by Gemma to Ty, reflecting on those strange and disturbing months in the outback. Months when the lines between love and obsession, and love and dependency, blur until they don't exist - almost.
Actual Rating: 4.8
Wow wow wow! That was one of the best books I've read in a while. It was a serious page turner, I could not put it down. This book stirred up so many different emotions in me. The writing style was so unique and raw and real I had to research if there was any truth behind this story. It felt so realistic! I felt everything Gemma felt from the very beginning of this terrible, horrible journey. I was one with her as she was one with herself and "you" and the desert. A turmoil of emotions were experienced up until the very last page and I'm not sure I'm ready to give this story up.
What can I say about Ty? I could say he's a screwed up, twisted monster or a pedophile with a crazy obsession and should be prisoned for eternity. But I can't completely say that because some part of me, somewhere in the imaginative part of my psyche, feels for Ty. I see that he's a "bad guy" but he has such tender moments and a sad back story that make you almost want to think twice about what he's done.
Of course when all is said and done, what he did was extremely wrong and there is no fantasizing that. However, in this work of fiction, I could see the authors skills shine through as she did exactly that.
I would be very interested in a follow up book with these characters 20 years from now.. there is a LOT of potential there.
View all my reviews
Alternative Covers:




No comments:
Post a Comment